Support for organizers planning their congress in Hamburg
The purpose of the funding programme is to support event organisers in implementing business events and thus to attract further events with relevant added value for Hamburg as a business location. Funding is intended exclusively for business events that are directed at professional audiences.
- It is mandatory that the event location has not been decided on in favour of Hamburg yet.
- Only expenses incurred through the actual implementation of a business event are eligible for funding.
- (association) conventions / association meetings
- corporate events and conferences / corporate meetings
Not eligible events are:
- exhibitions and trade fairs (even if directed at professional audiences)
- cultural and sporting events
- internal (corporate) events (such as galas, award ceremonies, Christmas parties, et cetera)
- party-political events
Basic funding criteria
To be eligible for basic funding, the event must take place at an event venue booked in Hamburg for which a rental fee is paid. In-house function rooms are not eligible. The event must generate at least 100 overnight stays (i.e. room nights) in Hamburg-based hotels. A room night is defined as any night between the official opening and the official closing of the event for which funding has been requested.
As a further basic requirement, a declaration of commitment to sustainability must be signed by the applicant.
Criteria for additional funding
If one or more of the following criteria are met and documented accordingly, the funding amount may be increased:
- The event takes place in Hamburg during any of the following periods:
– 1 January – 28 February
– 1 July – 31 August
– 1 December – 31 December
- The event is committed to Hamburg as an event location for several years. Funding shall then be granted for each event (i.e. annually) and for a maximum of 3 events.
- The event is an international business event. An international event is any event where more than 50% of participants are from countries other than Germany.
General conditions for the submission of applications
Period of validity
The event must take place by December 31, 2026.
Once the total budget available has been reached, no further events will be funded – even if all criteria are met. This means that applicants are not legally entitled to receive funding even if all of the criteria are met.
Applications must be submitted by December 31, 2023.